Mimosa Brand

Mimosa Brand

A couple of years ago, a former co-work who was at the beginning stages of developing a start up asked me to do some work for their brand – Mimosa Networks. There is a big back story on this but to summarize, they wanted to capitalize on the name and use an orange as part of the design.

thumbnailing
thumbnailing
thumbnailing
thumbnailing
thumbnailing

Needless to say, while my designs were not selected for the final design then, the concept of the orange didn’t make it either – well not as a literal image as was originally desired.

This was the final version…

old-logo

Fast forward 2 years to March of 2014 where I start working at Mimosa as the the Dir, of Brand Experience. As I start my effort here the packaging and product labeling are a couple of the primary tasks that I tackle first. In that effort I realize that the current design (above) is not scalable and will not be lending itself to proper product branding. It’s a circle with the term “mimo” inside the circle with the letters “sa” hanging outside. The centering of this brand is next to impossible and on the product it just looks broken.

I insisted that we need to simplify the brand and get to something that we can scale over time as well developing something unique in our field. As such I start off trying to get a feel for how we want to present our selves. Basically, I needed to get the juices flowing of the stakeholders so that we could at least start down a path. My initial gut reaction to the word “mimosa” has a very easy flow. It’s not a rigid word to me, it’s easy and clean – somewhat playful. While you’ll see in the below image variations with san-serif faces, I was convinced from the start it should be a script. Something modern and current if possible. If we could all get to the same vision alignment and make final decisions on Script vs San Serif, Serif. Caps vs Lower Case vs Traditional Sentence Case. Color variants vs Single Color. A lot to undertake in a very short amount of time.

We had to move through this exercise quickly as we have product launches looming and a lot of materials must be touched as part of this effort – web site launch, packaging updates, all corporate materials, trade show materials, etc – you know the drill.

Due to the very compact timeline we were able to reach consensus quickly on a few things. It should be a current script type face. We also decided it was lower case and that we wanted a single color. With these decisions I was able to get to several selections that I presented to the team. In the end I netted out with 2 scripts faces that needed to be combined in order for us to achieve the desired logo type. In addition, I needed to do some fairly detailed customization to make sure that it all matched and fit correctly.

The process, face selections and final result…

mimosa-creation